Friday, March 2, 2012

A Night of Death

I was coming out of the subway on Franklin and Eastern Parkway when, fifty feet in front of me, I watched a man chase another man, pull out a gun, and shoot at him twice. The shooter missed entirely, and stopped to futz with his gun before he looked around, and, for a second, stared directly at me--

At this point, you would think that I would have ducked, or ran the opposite direction, or been startled by the gunfire. You would think that I would think. I am not sure that I did.

Maybe I unconsciously calculated that this guy wasn't that accurate. Maybe I figured that if he really wanted to kill that guy, he would have fired more than two shots. Maybe I figured that if he was futzing with his gun, it probably was disabled for some reason. Maybe I was drunk.

But I just kept walking towards him. Sure it is possible that my brain unconsciously calculated that even in the given circumstances the chances of dying was low. Or I could have just been in shock. But really, I think I simply didn't care.
He sprinted off across the street and down the opposite corner.

No comments: